Rx & Shiftee – Act Out! [MOM001] just dropped on Beatport, and it’s time to get to know the remixers. First up, we have TURRBOTAX® don Contakt.
CliffsNotes Bullet Points:
- Co-founder + Resident of TURRBOTAX®: The premiere night for “bass music” + underground house & garage in the USA. The event is at capacity every month and has featured: Robert Hood, Todd Edwards, Karizma, Bok Bok, Kode9, and more.
- Releases on Local Action / Phonica, Grizzly, Dutty Artz, Palms Out, Sumo, Hot Mom USA, TurntableLab, and more.
- Annual tours in UK / EU
- One of a handful of USA DJs to guest appear on RinseFM in the UK; the premiere radio station for ”bass music” + underground house & garage
- Press coverage in/on: Wired, Fader, Urb, XLR8R, Fact, Sonic Router, Resident Advisor, and more
- Headlined high profile NYC gigs such as PS1 Warm Up, Deep Space at Cielo, in addition to international music festivals
All Sorts Mix: http://weareallsorts.blogspot.com/2011/12/contakt-turrbotax-interview-mix.html
Sonic Router Mix: http://www.sonicrouter.com/2011/02/interview-contakt-local-action/
Urb Mix: http://www.urb.com/2011/09/15/contakt-mayster-present-an-exclusive-mix-via-dutty-artz/
Honors Student Full Bio:
Hailing from Lansing, Michigan, Detroit’s blue collar sister city and state capitol, it’s hard not to hear Techno, Electro and Ghettotech (then called simply “bass” or “booty-music”). Infatuated by these local sounds and the emerging Midwest hip-hop scene, Contakt suddenly found himself at the center of it all, djing at illegal parties, and launching Lansing’s first record store devoted solely to hip-hop, electronic music, and hardcore/punk. This success quickly lead to relocating to New York and landing in the epicenter of the independent hip-hop movement running the world famous Fat Beats Records, and DJing at shows with everyone from Cormega to J-Zone, MF Doom to Necro.
As dubstep gained traction in the states, and 2-Step and garage were resurrected by artists like Burial and Kode 9, Contakt returned to his roots launching the first party in the United States devoted to “bass music” or whatever you call the interesting stuff that isn’t quite Dubstep. The event; TURRBOTAX®, quickly found success as part of the NYC bass trifecta (alongside Trouble & Bass and Dubwar) with a devoted following and world class headliners like Todd Edwards, Mosca, Bok Bok, Robert Hood, Kode9, Julio Bashmore, Ben UFO, Oneman and more. The success of TURRBOTAX® lead to inevitable UK and European tours, as well as guest appearances on RinseFM, London’s premiere radio station for bass music, house, and garage.
At the top of 2012, TURRBOTAX® is already poised for an incredible year, and Contakt is readying several releases and remixes, and even more DJ bookings. Known for combining an amazing selection dubplates from the best in bass music with rare Detroit Techno vinyl and his own productions – Contakt’s DJ sets have a vibe entirely of their own.
Rx & Shiftee – Act Out! + Remixes [MOM001] out now!
Support from: Starkey (Ninja Tune/Seclusiasis), Nick Catchdubs (Fools Gold), DaveQ (Dub War), Udachi (Party Like Us), Wheez-ie (Embassy), Kush Arora, Selecta Fewie (NastyFM), Mite (Embassy), Triple J Radio, and more.